All applications are processed in the order received. You cannot submit your online application until all the classes are completed and the required documents are uploaded. However, since the background check involves up to 7 different items/lists/other agencies, you can start that part of this process early for your first license.
Submitting fingerprints and paying early prepares your application to be issued very quickly once it is submitted, depending on the volume of applications we have. The following procedures will prevent your application from being delayed. They do not move your application to the front of the line.
Additionally, there are many things you can do (or fail) to do which will significantly delay the process.
Be aware that processing a new application usually takes 1-3 weeks but can take up to 6-8 weeks (usually due to a common name).
Also, be aware that the temporary coaching permits are now automatically issued and do not require admin/AD recommendations. So, requests from others on behalf of a third party will only delay the process for all applicants.
For a renewing applicant, the extension is their fastest option (1-3 days to process)
FIRST-TIME APPLICATIONS (requiring the fingerprint background check)
Your license will process fastest when your fingerprint have been received by us BEFORE your application is complete. We cannot issue anything until we receive your fingerprints and fees which can be sent to us even BEFORE you complete the coursework and submit your application. Submitting an incomplete application only slows up processing time. Complete the following 5 steps IN ORDER:
1. Start the online application and read everything carefully
2. Pay the fees online
3. Send us the fingerprint cards ASAP after paying online (allow 2-3 days for us to receive them)
*** The first three listed above can be completed even before the coursework is finished or any transcripts are uploaded.
***If you do not submit your application within 60 days, you will be sent a reminder e-mail.
***You can ignore this reminder as long as you submit the application within a one year period.
After the coursework is finished:
4. Upload the transcripts, coursework, CPR card, concussion certificate, HS diploma (if under 20 years old), and mandatory reporter
certificates (for transitional coaching authorizations).
5. If a temporary permit is issued because the FBI is the only outstanding item, the applicant will be sent an e-mail which needs
to be provided to the school official since these temporary permits are not available as public record from our web site.
6. Once the FBI results are in and clear and the license is issued, the applicant is notified via e-mail, and it is public record
available at https://www.boee.iowa.gov/search-license
7. Be aware that the most common cause for a license to be delayed is the failure to disclose violations other than parking or
speeding. If you receive an e-mail letting you know Iowa Courts Online records do not match your disclosure statement(s)
than please allow 6-8 weeks.
8. ANYTIME- anything is missing or inaccurate, the application will be “unsubmitted.” When this happens, an e-mail is sent to
the applicant letting them know what is incorrect. At this time, the applicant needs to make any correction(s) then
review/resubmit the application. Resubmitting places the application back in line so it is important that the application is read
carefully and completed accurately.