Skip to main content
Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know
Iowa Board of Educational Examiners

Teacher Internship


Teacher Intern License (Non-traditional Licensure) 

Frequently Asked Questions

Teacher Intern License -- Non-traditional Licensure

What is the teacher intern License?

The Board of Educational Examiners adopted rules to create a teacher intern license which allows an individual who possesses a baccalaureate degree and who meets other requirements an opportunity to become a high school teacher.

How do you qualify to become a teacher intern?

In order to qualify for a teacher intern license an applicant must:

  • Hold a baccalaureate degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale from a regionally accredited institution
  • Meet the subject matter coursework requirements for one of the regular education or special education endorsements approved for the teacher intern program
  • Successfully complete the introductory teacher intern program at a four-year college or university approved by the State Board of Education.

How does the program work?

  • Complete the introductory pedagogy coursework that includes 50 contact hours of field experience with students.
  • Apply for the teacher intern license upon successful completion of the introductory program, which allows the person to serve as the teacher of record in a high school during a one year teaching internship.
  • Obtain support by the postsecondary institution in partnership with the employing district and/or area education agency which includes extensive supervision and participation in a state-approved mentoring and induction program.
  • Complete a teacher intern seminar during the internship year that includes an extension of coursework from the teacher intern introductory program.
  • Complete all course requirements in the teacher intern program
  • Obtain an initial teaching license.

Which colleges offer a teacher intern program?

The Iowa Regent’s Collaborative and Morningside College are currently offering the intern program. Each program varies in cost, area of the state served, method of delivery, and start dates. Go to individual websites or contact the programs to find out specifics.

Contact Information:
The Iowa Regent’s (Iowa State University, University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa) Collaborative:
Amy Mayer, Coordinator,

Morningside University:
Cassie Alber, (712) 274-5375

Licensure Information:
Joanne Tubbs